• Oscar-winning actress Anne Hathaway has received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in Los Angeles, US.
• The star is the 2,663rd since the completion of the Walk of Fame in 1961 with the first 1,558 stars.
• Hathaway first gained fame in 2001 in her motion picture debut in "The Prince Diaries".
• Indian Army is commemorating 2019 as the 'Year of Next Kin' and plans to reach out to the next of kin of battle casualties, ex-servicemen and serving soldiers to resolve their pension-related issues and let them know of their entitled financial benefits, welfare schemes.
• The army, on an average, suffers 150 to 200 battle casualties and 1,000 to 1,200 physical casualties every year, leading to 1,100 to 1,400 next of kin to take care of each year. The first level of the next of kin is the wife, in case of the soldier being married, and mother, in case of being unmarried.
• The nodal agency will be The Directorate of Indian Army Veterans.
• Rajiv Gandhi International Airport of Hyderabad has been ranked as the world's 8th Best Airport in a survey conducted by Air Help.
• AirHelp is an organization that specialises in air-traveler rights and seeks compensation in cases of delays or cancellations.
• The airports were ranked on the basis of time performance, service quality and food & shopping options.
• The top 10 Airports in the list of world's best airports as per AirHelp are:
• Mumbai municipal commissioner Ajoy Mehta has been appointed as Maharastra's new chief secretary.
• Ajoy Mehta, a 1984-batch IAS- Indian Administrative Officer is scheduled to retire in September 2019.
• He succeeds UPS Madan (1983 batch IAS officer) has been named as the special advisor to Maharastra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.
Capital - Mumbai
Chief Minister - Devendra Fadnavis
Governor - C. Vidyasagar Rao
Sanjay Gandhi National Park
Chandoli National Park
Navegaon National Park
Tadoba National Park
Gugamal National Park
• Professor Tijjani Mohammad Bande has been appointed as the new President of the United Nations General Assembly.
• He will succeed Maria Fernanda Espinosa Garces.
• He is the second Nigerian to be appointed to this post, prior being Mr. Joseph Nanven Garba (1989-1990).
• National Technology Day is observed every year on 11th May in India to commemorate major technological breakthroughs attained on 11th May 1998.
• On this day, India successfully tested Shakti-I nuclear missile at the Indian Army's Pokhran Test Range in Rajasthan. The operation was led by late President Dr APJ Abdul Kalam and was called Operation Shakti or Pokhran-II. Two days later, India successfully tests fired two nuclear weapons as part of Operation Shakti.
• In a way, National Technology Day highlights the importance of science in daily life and encourages youngsters to embrace it as a career option.
• The World Migratory Bird Day is celebrated on May 11. It is celebrated twice in the year, which falls on the second Saturday in May and October.
• In 2019 this day will be celebrated on May 11 and October 12.
• The theme for World Migratory Bird Day 2019 is 'Protect Birds: Be the Solution to Plastic Pollution'.
• The first world Migratory Day was observed on the weekend of April 8-9, 2006.
• It is celebrated to raise awareness on the need for protecting the migratory birds and their habitats.
Download the PrepSutra app
Download the app for Android devices and prepare on the go - anytime, anywhere!