• India's 3rd largest non-life insurance provider in the private sector, HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company has launched a scheme termed 'Mosquito Diseases Protection Policy'.
• The policy will cover a person against common mosquito-borne diseases, namely, Dengue Fever, Malaria, Chikungunya, Japanese Encephalitis, Kala-azar, Lymphatic Filariasis, and Zika Virus.
• According to the report published by National Health Profile 2018, there has been a stark rise of 300% dengue cased in India between 2009 to 2017.
• These mosquito-borne diseases lead to hospitalization adding burden on expense or affecting the no claim bonus of any standard health insurance. Keeping this in mind, HDFC ERGO launched this new policy which will cover hospitalization expenses. The policyholder may opt for a huge amount to be paid as a policy benefit on offering the proof of hospitalization.
• The policy will also cover all the vector-borne diseases listed in the policy document.
About HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company
Headquarters - Mumbai
Founded - 2002
• Subhash Chand has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the State of Eritrea.
• He is presently Deputy High Commissioner in the High Commission of India, Abuja.
• He will succeed Ravindra Prasad Jaiswal.
Capital - Asmara
Currency - Eritrean Nakfa
President - Isaias Afwerki
• India and the United Kingdom have agreed to boost their ties in the field of Indo-Pacific cooperation, climate change, disaster resilience, development in third world countries and others.
• Former Secretary Vijay Gokhale led the Indian delegation and UK side was represented by Sir Simon McDonald, Permanent Under-Secretary Foreign and Commonwealth Office of the British government.
About United Kingdom
Capital - London
Currency - Pound Sterling
Prime Minister - Theresa May
• Indian actress Dia Mirza and Alibaba chief Jack Ma are among the 17 global public figures appointed by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres as the new advocates to drive action and solidity global political will for the ambitious Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
• Chief of Alibaba Group, Jack Ma has been an SDG Advocate since 2016.
• Actress Dia Mirza is also the UN Environment Program Goodwill Ambassador for India.
• The newly appointed UN advocates are the 17 influential global figures. It is the responsibility of these advocates to raise awareness, inspire greater ambition and strive hard for the faster action on the SDGs, which were adopted by the world leaders on September 25, 2015.
• Fintech start-up company, BharatPe has launched India's first UPI Bahi Khata for Merchants, that allows merchants to keep a track of their cash/ credit • (Udhar) sales customer wise, request accounts receivable from customers via SMS payment links, and keep track of accounts payable to suppliers, among other services.
• It also serves as a networking platform for merchants to connect and collaborate with other BharatPe merchants near them to source and expand their business.
• BharatPe is India's first fintech start-up enabling payments for merchants through interoperable UPI QR codes.
Introduced - 11 April 2016
Owner - NPCI
Markets - India
• The Republic of Ireland has become the second country in the world to declare a climate emergency.
• Britain's parliament became the first in the world to declare a climate emergency, passing the largely symbolic motion on May 1.
• The step followed 11 days of street protests in London by the Extinction Rebellion environmental campaign group.
• Facebook has selected London as the centre for the global roll-out of WhatsApp Pay, the social media giant launches its digital payments service on the mobile messaging platform in India.
• The reason to choose London than US City is because WhatsApp is widely used in UK and London is considered as a Hub for Fintech, because it attracts a multicultural workforce from many of the countries where WhatsApp is widely used, such as India.
• WhatsApp has 1.5 billion users globally, out of which, more than 200 million users are in India.
• In the process of launching this new feature, WhatsApp would hire 100 people in London to focus on the digital payments service and additional operations staff would be hired in Dublin.
Headquarters - Mento Park, California, United States
Founded - 4th February 2004
CEO - Mark Zuckerberg
Headquarters - Mountain View, California, United States
Founded - 2009
Parent Organization - Facebook
• International Nurse Day is celebrated globally on 12th May to commemorate the birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale, the founder of modern nursing.
• The theme of International Nurses Day 2019 is "Nurse- A voice to lead-Health for All".
• An officer with the US Department of Health, Education and Welfare Dorothy Sutherland first proposed Nurse Day in 1953 and was first proclaimed by President Dwight D Eisenhower.
• International Nurse Day was first observed in 1965 by the International Council of Nurses (ICN).
• INC encourages all nurses to get involved with the celebrations and raise their voice to show colleagues, patients, the public and politicians just how important nursing is for the health of individuals, families, and communities.
Download the PrepSutra app
Download the app for Android devices and prepare on the go - anytime, anywhere!