• Former Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Raghuram Rajan has been awarded the 'Yashwantrao Chavan National Award 2018' for his contribution towards economic development.
• He received this award on March 12, 2019, on the occasion of 106th birth anniversary of late Yashwantrao Chavan, who was the first chief minister of Maharastra.
• The award is given annually to individuals/ institutions for their outstanding contribution towards national integration, democratic values, and social and economic development.
Headquarters - Mumbai
Governor - Shaktikanta Das
• Bank of Baroda has become one of the first public sector Banks a creche/child day-care facility for children of its employees.
• The day-care facility has been launched at its Mumbai corporate office in Bandra Kurla Complex and is being mulled further on being implemented at the office in Vadodara, Gujarat.
• This initiative is designed to help employees save time and reduce stress of finding the right care for children in the age group of 6 months to 6 years.
The Bank will bear 60% of the cost incurred every month and the rest 40% will be taken care by the parents.
About Bank of Baroda
Tagline - India's International Bank
Headquarters - Alkapuri Vadodara
CEO - P.S. Jayakumar
• State Bank of India (SBI) has launched doorstep banking service for senior citizens over 70 years of age and differently-abled customers.
• The customer can avail this service at a nominal fee of 100 rupees per transaction for financial transactions and 60 rupees for non-financial transactions.
• This services are available to KYC- compliant account holders with a valid mobile number registered with the bank and residing within 5 kilometers radius their home branch.
About State Bank of India
Tagline - With you all the way
Headquarters - Mumbai
Founded - 1 July 1955
Chairperson - Rajnish Kumar
• A 17-member high-level committee has been constituted by the Delhi government's Dialogue and Development Commission (DDC), to 'reform higher education' in the capital.
• The committee will be chaired by DDC vice-chairperson Jasmine Shah.
• The committee will "recommend goals, metrics, policies, and actionable plans for reforming Delhi's higher education system within a year".
• Nalanda2.0, a non-profit policy think tank, with a "mission to making India's higher education system world class" is collaborating with the DDC as the knowledge partner in the initiative.
• Retired IAS officer C Lalsawta was sworn-in as the first Chairman of the newly-constituted Lokayukta in Mizoram.
• The oath was administered to him by the Governor of Mizoram- Jagdish Mukhi in a swearing-in ceremony held at Raj Bhavan Aizawl.
• Lalsawta is a 1981 batch Bihar cadre IAS officer.
Capital - Aizawl
Chief Minister - Zoramthanga
Governor - Jagdish Mukhi
• As per the latest report by World Gold Council (WGC), India, the world's largest consumer of gold, has the 11th largest gold reserve, with the current holding secured at 607 tonnes.
• The number one slot is occupied by the U.S., which has gold reserves of 8,133.5 tonnes, followed by Germany with 3,369.7 tonnes.
• International Monetary Fund (IMF) is secured 3rd rank on the list with total gold reserves of 2,814 tonnes followed by Italy and France with reserves of 2,451 tonnes and 2,436 tonnes respectively.
• The 4th Internet of Thing (IoT) India Congress, an event which will see digital technology leaders coverage to discuss and explore business opportunities in mainstreaming IoT, will be held in Bengaluru on August 22-23, 2019.
• The IoT India Congress 2019 will include tracks on segments such as healthcare, manufacturing, telecom, smart cities, energy, retail, cybersecurity, skills and development, IoT Standards, legal and regulatory, and agriculture.
Capital - Bengaluru
Chief Minister - H. D. Kumarswamy
Governor - Vajubhai Vala
• Aditya Kumar Misra, a veterinary professor and former Vice Chancellor of GB University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar, has been appointed as the new chairman of Agricultural Scientific Recruitment Board (ASRB) till 5th January 2022.
• The former chairman Gurbachan Singh took voluntary retirement in May 2017, has been working without a chairman since then.
• Prajapati Trivedi, the Commonwealth's Director of Economic, Youth, and Sustainable Development, has been awarded the Prestigious Harry Hatry Award Performance Mangement Practice Award 2019 for his contribution in public administration.
• The Center for Accountability and Performance (CAP), American Society for Public Administration (ASPA), awarded Trivedi.
• This award is given annually to an individual whose outstanding teaching, education, training, and consultation in performance management and has hugely contributed to the practice of public administration.
World Kidney Day (WKD) is observed every year on the second Thursday, March to raise awareness about the importance of taking care of kidneys and preventing kidney diseases.
The theme of WKD 2019 is Kidney Health for Everyone Everywhere, which calls for Universal Health Coverage (UHC) for prevention and early treatment of kidney disease.
Download the PrepSutra app
Download the app for Android devices and prepare on the go - anytime, anywhere!