• ITC Managing Director Sanjiv Puri has been appointed as the Chairman by the Board of Directors.
• He was appointed to the post after the passing of former chairman Yogesh Chander Deveshwar.
• His new designation will now be chairman and managing director.
• He has been the Managing Director since 2018 and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in February 2017.
About ITC Limited
Headquarters - Kolkata
CEO - Sanjiv Puri
• Actor Anil Kapoor will be honored by a European Union delegation and Council of European Union Chambers of Commerce in India as part of the Europe Day celebrations in Mumbai.
• Anil Kapoor will be honored for promoting the rights of children from a decade, giving his support to the European Union and planning for rights of girls in India.
• Mr. Kapoor will be the chief guest for the celebrations, which will also be attended by EU Ambassador to India Tomasz Kozlowski, EU Member states Consuls and senior representative from the European and Indian corporate world.
• Europe Day is celebrated every year on 9th May to mark the formation of the European Union.
About European Union
Capital - Brussels (De Facto Capital)
Currency - Euro
• Former RBI Deputy Governor, Rama Subramaniam Gandhi has been appointed as an additional director on the board of Yes Bank for two years.
• The appointment is made by RBI under Sub-section (1) of Section 36 AB of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949, which empowers the regulator to appoint additional directors in the interest of the bank or its depositors.
• He will serve Yes Bank as the additional director with effect from 14 May 2019 to 13 May 2021 or till further orders.
• R Gandhi served RBI as the Deputy Governor between April 2014 and April 2017.
Headquarter - Mumbai
Governor - Shaktikanta Das
About Yes Bank
Tagline - Experience our Expertise
Headquarters - Mumbai
Founder - Rana Kapoor
MD & CEO - Ravneet Gill
• Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) notified that it has launched 'BSE StAR MF' app to enable more participation and help mutual fund distributors process transaction faster.
• BSE StAR MF is the exchange's mutual fund platform which helps distributors purchase and redeem mutual fund units on behalf of their clients.
• The mobile app can be downloaded from the Google Play store, after downloading the app, the sign up can be done by providing the member identification number.
• The app supports real-time client registration and paperless transactions, creates and uploads mandate for SIPs, generates the basket of multiple order, tracks and allows the distributor to analyze the business at his fingertips.
About Bombay Stock Exchange
Location - Mumbai, Maharastra, India
Founded - 9 July 1875
Chairman - Sundaram Ravi
MD & CEO - Ashish Chauhan
• Nepalese Sherpa climber Kami Rita has scaled Mount Everest for 23rd time, set a world record and break his own world record.
• A 49-year old Kami Rita reached atop the world's highest peak which is 8,850-meters (29,035-feet) high.
• Rita has been climbing Mt. Everest since 1994.
• In 2017, Kami became the 3rd person to climb Mt. Everest for 21 times, equalising the achievement of Apa Sherpa and Phurba Tashi Sherpa, both of whom have since retired.
• Kami broke the record for set record of most summits on Mt. Everest in 2018.
• He has also scaled several other peaks that are among the world's highest peak including K-2, Cho-Oyu, Manaslu, and Lhotse
Capital - Kathmandu
Currency - Nepalese Rupee
President - Bidhya Devi Bhandari
Prime Minister - KP Sharma Oli
• China has become the sole contender to host Asian Cup Football tournament in 2023 after South Korea has abandoned its bid to host the game in 2023.
• The Korea Football Association (KFA) announced that they are pulled out to strategically focus on a joint bid with North Korea to host Women's World Cup in 2023.
About Asian Football Confederation (AFC)
Headquarters - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
President - Salman Bin Ibrahim Al-Khalifa
• Kumar Tuhin (IFS: 1991) has been appointed as next Ambassador of India to Bosnia & Herzegovina with residence in Budapest.
• He succeeds Rahul Chhabra.
• He is presently Ambassador of India to the Republic of Hungary.
About Bosnia & Herzegovina
Capital - Sarajevo
Currency - Bosnia and Herrzegovina convertible mark
• Globally, May 16 is celebrated as International Day of Light.
• This is the second edition of the International Day of Light.
• UNESCO (The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) officially observes the International Day of Light so as to continuously appreciate the light and for the exemplary role, it plays in science, culture, and art, education, sustainable development, medicine, communications and energy.
Headquarters - Perish France
Director-General - Audrey Azoulay
• Sikkim celebrated Statehood Day on 16th May.
• It marks the day in 1975 when Sikkim became the 22nd state of India.
• It was on 16th May 1975 that Sikkim officially merged with the Indian union and became the 22nd state of the country.
Capital - Gangtok
Governor - Ganga Prasad
Chief Minister - Pawan Kumar Chamling
Download the PrepSutra app
Download the app for Android devices and prepare on the go - anytime, anywhere!