9th May 2019 Current Affairs
Bharti Airtel to merge broadband satellite business with Hughes India


Telecom player Bharti Airtel Ltd and Hughes Communication India Ltd (HCIL) have agreed to merge their broadband satellite or VSAT business to improve operational efficiencies and target new customers in areas such as in-flight connectivity.

VSAT stands for very small aperture terminal. VSATs use geosynchronous orbit satellites to communicate with other terminals around the world and can be used to provide services such as high-speed internet and video-conferencing services.

After a merger, Hughes Communication will own 67% share of new entity and the remaining 33% will own by Bharti Airtel.

About Bharti Airtel

Headquarters - New Delhi

CEO - Gopal Vittal


15th Finance Commission's Meeting with RBI held in Mumbai


The 15th Finance Commission held a detailed meeting with the Governor and Deputy Governors of RBI in Mumbai.

The commission, chaired by N K Singh.

Key issues raised by RBI Governor, Shri Shaktikanta Das and Finance Commission Chairman, Shri N.K. Singh were discussed in detailed at the meeting. 

These issues included the following:

  • The necessity of setting up State Finance Commissions for respective State Governments
  • Public Sector Borrowing Requirements
  • Continuity of the Finance Commission

About RBI

Headquarters - Mumbai

Governor - Shaktikanta Das

About Maharastra

Capital - Mumbai

Chief Minister - Devendra Fadnavis

Governor - C. Vidyasagar Rao

National Park

  • Sanjay Gandhi National Park

  • Chandoli National Park

  • Navegaon National Park

  • Tadoba National Park

  • Gugamal National Park


NIOS, NHMPH signed MoU in Mumbai


The National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) under the Ministry of Human Resource Development and National Health Mission of Public Health Department (NHMPH) of Government of Maharastra signed MoU in Mumbai.

The MoU focused on offerings of vocational programmes to the Health Service Providers of National Health Mission (NHM) with the help of National Institute of Open Schooling.

About NIOS

Headquarters - Noida, U.P

Chairman - Prof C B Sharma


Visa appoints Sujatha V Kumar as head of marketing for India and South Asia


Visa has announced the appointment of Sujatha V Kumar as Head of Marketing for India and South Asia.

She will be driving overall marketing strategy and execution including consumer, retail and digital marketing initiatives for India and the emerging markets of Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, and the Maldives.

She will succeed Manmeet Vohra,

Prior to this, Kumar worked with Google as Head - Brand & Reputation Marketing and Strategy.

About Visa

Headquarters - Foster City, California, United States

CEO - Alfred F Kelly Jr


India's Jagjit Pavadia re-elected to the International Narcotics Control Board (INCB)


India's Jagjit Pavadia has been re-elected by the UN Economic and Social Council to a five-year term on International Narcotics Control Board (INCB).

Pavadia got 44 of the 54 votes, while China's candidate got only half with 22 and China's candidate Hao Wei lost.

The INCB, established in 1968, monitors the implementation of UN's international drug control conventions. Pavadia has been a member since 2015 - each of the 13 members is elected for a five-year term.

About International Narcotics Control Board

Founded - 1961

President - Viroj Sumyai


Bajaj Auto ED, Rakesh Sharma elected as IMMA Vice President


Rakesh Sharma, Bajaj Auto Executive Director and also a representative of SIAM (Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers) has been elected as Vice President of Geneva-based International Motorcycle Manufacturers Association (IMMA).

Rakesh Sharma has a wide range of experience in two and three-wheeler industry  and he is expected to efficiently direct IMMA towards being the trusted motorcycle manufacturers worldwide.

IMMA's president is Johannes Loman.

About Bajaj Auto Company

Headquarters - Pune


Standard Life to sell its 1.78% stake in HDFC Life Insurance


The Standard Life has divested 1.78% of its stake in HDFC Life Insurance Company for Rs 1,404 crore.

The divestment was done through the offer for sale route and the issue sailed through successfully with both qualified institutional investors and retail investor quotas.

The reason behind this move is to achieve the minimum public shareholding in the company as per Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) regulations.

About HDFC Life Insurance

Headquarters - Mumbai

CEO - Vibha Padalkar


Click Here to Read Daily Current Affairs

Click Here to Attempt Daily Current Affairs Quiz

Recent Post
prepsutra-app-download android ios

Download the PrepSutra app

Download the app for Android devices and prepare on the go - anytime, anywhere!