Prime Minister Narendra Modi inarguated Indian Science Congress.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated 106th Indian Science Congress on 3rd January in Jalandhar, Panjab.
• The theme of this event is 'Future India: Science and Technology'.
• It will be hosted by Lovely Professional University(PLU), Jalandhar.
Union Cabinet approves merger of three Banks.
• Union Cabinet has approved the merger of Vijaya Bank and Dena Bank with Bank of Baroda.
• The merger will come into force on April 1.
• Following the merger of these three Banks, Bank of Baroda will become third largest bank in India after the State Bank of India and HDFC Bank in terms of assets.
Hemant Bhargava appointed as interim Chairman of LIC.
• The government has appointed Hemant Bhargava as interim Chairman of Life Insurance Corporation.
• He succeeded V K Sharma.
• Hemant Bhargava was appointed as Managing Director(MD) of Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) in February 2017, Apart from Bhargava, there are two more Managing Director(MD) of LIC currently.
Saurabh Kumar is the new Chairman of Ordnance Factory Board.
• On 1 January 2019, Saurabh Kumar has been appointed as the Director General of Ordnance Factories (DGOF) and chairman of the Ordnance Factory Board in Kolkata.
• He is a 1982-batch Indian Ordnance Factory Service Officer, is an M-tech in mechanical engineering from IIT, Kanpur.
Ramakant Archerakar passed away.
• Veteran Cricket Coach Ramakant Archerakar passed away aged 86 in Mumbai on 2nd January 2019.
• He was Sachin Tendulkar's Cricket Coach.
• He was honored with one of the country's highest civilian award, Padma Shri and also honored with the 'lifetime achievement award' in 2010
• He was also honored with Dronacharya Award in 1990 for outstanding coaches in sports and games.
India's new Ambassador to China.
• Vikram Misri has been appointed as India's new Ambassador to China on 8th January 2019.
• He is an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer of the 1989-batch.
• He succeeded Gautam Bambawale.
• Before to this appointment, Misri served as Indian Envoy Myanmar.
• Earlier, he has served in various capacities at the headquarters of Ministry of External Affairs as well as in the Prime Minister's Office.
The first female chief economist of IMF
• India-born Gita Gopinath appointed as chief economist of International Monetary Fund (IMF) as its 11th chief economist.
• She became 1st female chief economist of International Monetary Fund (IMF).
• She succeeded Maurice(Maury) Obstfeld.
• Gita Gopinath is the 2nd Indian after former RBI governor Raghuram Rajan to hold the position.
• She was born in Calcutta(1971) and grew up in India. She is a US citizen and an overseas citizen of India.
• She completed her Bachelor's degree from the University of Delhi. She did her Master's in economics from Delhi School of Economics and University of Washington and she received her Ph.D. degree in economics from Princeton University in 2001.
India to become world 's third largest consumer market.
• India to become the third largest consumer market behind only USA and China by 2030.
• According to the World economic forum report (WEF), the consumer spending in India is expected to grow 1.5 trillion US dollar to 6 trillion US dollar by2030.
• The report title Future of consumption in Fast-Growth consumer market India was released by World Economic Forum.
Japan tops list of most powerful passports.
• Japan has topped list of most powerful passports while India ranked at 79th position.
• According to the Henley Passport Index, Japan retained its top spot as the world's most travel-friendly passport due to the document's access to 190 countries.
• India jumped two positions from 81st in 2018 to 79th in this year.
• Nepal, Pakistan, and Afghanistan ranked further low at 94, 102 and 104 respectively.
• China jumped 20 places in just two years from 85th in 2017 to 69th in 2019.
Indian Army signed MoU with PNB.
• Indian Army signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Panjab National Bank (PNB) on the defense salary package.
• The MoU will benefit a large number of serving and retired Army personnel who have their accounts with PNB and also provide them with an opportunity to access modern banking facilities.
• Salient feature of the improved and update MoU are free 'RAKSHAK PLUS' Scheme for serving pers and veterans, overdraft facility range from Rs 0.75 to 3 lakhs, multicity 'At Par' cheques, instant credit of outstation cheques, preferential allotment of lockers at concessional AMC and free SMS alerts.
Khelo India Youth Games event.
• The second edition of Khelo India Youth Games 2019 is held in Pune, Maharastra.
• The games are held in two categories under-17 years school students and under-21 college students.
• Khelo India Youth Games are a part of Khelo India Programme.
• The Khelo India programme has been introduced to revive the sports culture in India at the grass-root level by building a strong framework for all sports played in our country and established India as a great sporting nation.
• Previously called as Khelo India School Games, it has been now renamed as Khelo India Youth Game.
RBI appoints Nandan Nilekani as Chairman of Digital Payment Committee
• Reserve Bank of India appointed Nandan Nilekani as Chairman of Digital Payment Committee.
• On 8th January 2019, RBI announced the formation of high-level committee to access the digitization of payments in the country
• The committee, which will have four other members, will review the existing status of digitization of payments in the country and assess the current level of digital payments in Financial inclusion, according to RBI.
Pranav Kumar Mehta first Indian to head Global Solar Council.
• The chairman of National Solar Energy Federation of India (NSEFI), Pravin Kumar Mehta appointed as the president of Global Solar Council from 1st January 2019.
• He becomes first Indian to head Global Solar Council.
• The Global Solar Council was launched on 6 December 2015, following the historic United Nations Climate Change Conference (UN COP 21).
• India is placed amongst the Top 5 solar players in the world and is the third largest solar market.
Washington, DC is the headquarters of Global Solar Council.
All India Radio National Poets Conference 2019 held in Chennai.
• All India Radio National Poets Conference 2019 will be held in Chennai on 10 January 2019.
• All India Radio host the Sarva Basha Kavi Sammelan.
• Tamil Nadu Government Banwarilal Purohit will inaugurate this event.
• In it, 22 poets representing as many languages included in eight schedules of Consitution would be representing their poems.
• Scholars in Hindi and Tamil will present the translated version of the poems in the conference itself.
• The program will be aired on the 25th of this month.
Global Aviation Summit 2019
• The two days, Global Aviation Summit 2019 will be held in Mumbai, Maharastra on 15 January 2019.
• The theme of the Summit is "Flying for all".
• The Summit organized by the Ministry of civil aviation along with FICCI.
• The Summit is supported by International Civil Aviation
• Suresh Prabhu is the Minister of Civil Aviation.
National Consultation on Child Protection
• On 8th January 2019, The First 'National Consultation on Child Protection 2019 was held at India Habitat Centre, New Delhi under the chairmanship of the Secretary, Ministry of Women and Child Development.
• The meeting was organized to follow up on the exercise of monitoring of the CCIs by States/UTs, to deliberate upon various aspects of child protection and to take stock of the efforts made by States/UTs regarding improvements in the Child Care Institutions.
Se Tseng-chang appointed as Taiwan Prime Minister
• Se Tseng-chang has appointed as Taiwan Prime Minister.
• He is a former premier appointed in 2006 by then-President Chen Shui bain but resigned in 2007 to contest the 2008 presidential elections, which he lost to Ma Ying-jeou of the Kuomintang Party.
World Hindi Day celebrated on 10 January
• World Hindi day is celebrated on 10th January every year.
• The first World Hindi Conference was inaugurated by Indra Gandhi, was held in 1975.
• First World Hindi Day was celebrated on 10th January 2006.
• National Hindi Diwas is celebrated on14th September every year.
Dr. Siwan K appointed as new Chairman of ISRO
• Dr. Siwan K has appointed as new Chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation. His tenure will have three years.
• He succeeded A S Kiran Kumar.
• He is a graduate in aeronautical engineering from Institute of Technology(Madras). ME from Indian Institute of Science(IISC).
RBI Provides USD 400 million swap to Sri Lanka's central Bank
• Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has agreed to provide USD $400 million under a swap arrangement to boost the Island nation's reserves.
• It stated that a further request to the RBI for another SWAP arrangement of USD 1 billion "under consideration".These are to be made available under the SAARC (South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation) SWAP facility.
10% Quota for economically weak in general category
• The Rajya Sabha passed the constitution (124th) amendment bill to provide 10% reservation in Jobs and educational institution to economically backward sections in the general category.
• The Quota will be over and above the existing 50% reservation for STs, SCs, and OBC.
• The Bill was passed with 165 member voting in favour while seven members voted against it.
• The Bill will provide the reservation on basis of income, not caste.
• The Quota will benefit Brahmins, Rajputs (Thakurs), Jats, Marathas, Bhumihars, several trading castes, Kapus and Kammas among other upper castes.
4th Edition of Raisina Dialogue held in New Delhi
• The Fourth edition of 3-day Raisina Dialogue held in New Delhi on 8th January 2019.
• The theme of the Dialogue is "A World Recorder: New Geometries; Fluid Partnerships; Uncertain Outcomes".
• The Dialogue brought together over 600 delegates from 93 countries, including influential political leaders, strategic thinker, policy practitioners, technology innovators, business representatives, and academics.
• The discussions will seek to address issues arising from ongoing global transitions and changes to the world order, triggered by unique leaders, innovative partnerships and new technologies.
Kartik Singh becomes youngest Indian to win Junior World Title
• 8-years old Kartik Singh becomes youngest Indian to win Junior World Title.
• He has won the under-8 category at the Kids Golf World Championship.
• The Kids Golf World Championship organised by US kids Golf in Malaysia.
25th edition of Partnership Summit 2019 inaugurated in Mumbai
• Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the 25th edition of Partnership Summit 2019 in Mumbai.
• Them of the Summit is "New India Rising to Global Occasions"
• The summit is expected to build new partnerships and explore investment opportunities in sectors like Artificial Intelligence, big data, food processing, defense, aeronautics, renewable energy, and tourism.
India's longest single lane Steel Cable Bridge Opened
• India's longest 300-meter single lane steel cable Bridge opened in Arunachal Pradesh
• It was inaugurated by Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khunda.
• The bridge across the Siang river at Yingkiong in Upper Siang district has been named Byorung Bridge. It is built at a cost of Rs 48.43 crore provided by DONER ( Department for Development of North Eastern Region) Ministry.
• The Bridge will reduce the distance from Yinkiong to Tuting by almost 40 km.
The government has launched the Web Wonder Women
• The government has launched an online campaign,'#www: Web-Wonder Women' on 9th January.
• The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD) has launched the campaign in collaboration with Twitter India and Breakthrough India (a human rights organization).
• It aims to discover and celebrate the exceptional achievements of women, who have been driving positive agenda of social change via social media
Brahm Dutt appointed as non-executive part-time chairman of Yes Bank
• Yes Bank has appointed Brahm Dutt as non-executive chairman to the Board.
• He is currently the chairman of the Nomination and Remuneration Committee.
• Yes Bank is India's fourth largest private sector Bank.
AIBA World Ranking Mary Kom becomes 'World No 1' Boxer
• Mary Kom became the World No 1 Boxer in 45-48 kg category according to International Boxing Association's (AIBA) World Ranking.
• She became the first female boxer to win six world championship.
• She was ranked one by the AIBA in the Light Fly 45-48 kg category, scoring 1700 points. she capped her 2018 campaign with her sixth world championship title after defeating Ukraine's Hanna Okhota by 5-0 in Delhi.
• Ukraine Hanna ranked number two in the world with 1100 points.
Adi Godrej granted ICSI Lifetime Achievement Award
• Adi Godrej has conferred the ICSIs Lifetime Achievement Award for Translating Excellence in Corporate Governance into Reality.
• He is Industrialist and Godrej Group Chairman.
• The awards were introduced by the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI), which is celebrating its golden jubilee.
Fourth Meeting of CTDP
• The Fourth meeting of the Council for Trade Development and Promotion held in New Delhi.
• The meeting was chaired by Union Minister for Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu.
• The Council for Trade Development and Promotion provide an Agriculture Export Policy for the first time with a focused plan to boost India's agriculture exports to USD 60 billion by 2022.
2+2 Inter-Sessional Meeting held in New Delhi
• A 2+2 Inter-Sessional Meeting between the United States and India held in New Delhi.
• The meeting focused on the progress of defense and foreign policy issues between the two countries.
• The Indian delegation was led by Shri Gourangalal Das, Joint Secretary (ASM), Ministry of External Affairs and Shri Shambhu S. Kumaran, Joint Secretary (PIC), Ministry of Defence.
• The US delegation was led by Ambassador Ms. Alice Wells, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of State and Mr. Randall Schriver, Assistant Secretary of Defense.
Sixth 'Women of India Organic Festival' held in Chandigarh
• The 3-day Sixth 'Women of India Organic Festival' held at Leisure Vally, Sector-10, Chandigarh.
• The Festival has been organized by the Ministry of Women Child Development, Meneka Sanjay Gandhi.
• It objective to celebrate and promote women farmers and entrepreneurs in the organic sector from the remotest parts of India.
• Shri B.L. Sharma, Secretary, Women and Child Development, UT Chandigarh was the chief Guest in this 3-day Sixth 'Women of India Organic Festival'.
• The festival will showcase over 1000 varied organic products, including fabric, wellness, grains, grains, seeds, jewellery, bakery items and a lot more
29th Indian Paint Conference-2019 held in Agra, Uttar Pradesh
• 29th Indian Paint Conference-2019 held in Agra, Uttar Pradesh from 11th to 13th January 2019.
• The theme of the conference is 'Paints Pe Charcha - Naye Aayaam'.
• The Conference was organized by the Indian Paint Association (IPA)-the apex body of the Indian Paint Industry.
• This was the largest trade show of the paint industry to the estimated INR 500 billion (50,000 crores) Indian Paints & Coatings industry.
A Scheme 'Ama Ghare LED' launched in Odisha to distribute fee LED bulbs
• Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched "Ama Ghare LED" Scheme to distribute free LED bulbs on 11th January 2019.
• The Scheme will benefit about 95 lakh families in Odisha state.
• Under the scheme, Each beneficiary family will get 4 LED bulbs (9-watt each) free of cost.
• The beneficiaries will have to produce their bio-metric authentication to avail befits under the scheme.
• The LED bulbs will be distributed to the beneficiaries registered under the National Food Security Act (NFSA) and the State Food Security Scheme (SFSS) was launched during the 'Ama Gaon Ama Bikash' programme.
Global Skill Summit 2019 held in Ranchi, Jharkhand
• One-day Global Skill Summit 2019 held in Ranchi, Jharkhand, and additionally 17 Countries are taking part in this summit
• The theme of the Summit was "Skilling Youth, Enabling Youth".
• The unique features of the summit have been given symbolic Job offer letters to more than 1 lakh youths in the state.
• Jharkhand becomes the first state to achieve the feat of giving jobs to more than 1 lakh youths in the private sector.
• Jharkhand's governor Smt. Draupadi Murmu was the chief guest in this one-day Global Skill Summit 2019.
Egypt to host African Cup of Nations
• Confederation of African Football (CAF) president Ahmad Ahmad announced in Dakar that Egypt will host the 2019 African Cup Nations.
• Egypt beat South Africa.
• It will be the fifth time Egyp, which won the tournament when it last hosted in 2006.
• Egypt will use eight stadiums during the tournament, hosting in five different cities: Alexandria, Ismailia, Port Said, Suez and the capital Cairo.
Mohamed Salah named African Footballer of the Year
• Mohamed Salah names as the 2018 Confederation of African Football Player of the Year.
• The 26-year-old Salah beat Medhi Benatia Kalidou Koulibaly, Sadio Mane and Thomas Partey to the prize.
• For the second consecutive year, he has won the award.
• He becomes the first player since Nigerian Jay-Jay Okocha to win African Footballer of the Year in consecutive years.
• He was named the Premier League's Player of the Season in 2017/18, and has so far scored 13 times in 23 games of the current campaign.
National Youth Day celebrated on 12 January
• National Youth Day is celebrated on 12 January of every year since 1984.
• National Youth Day 2019 is the 156th birth anniversary of great philosopher Swami Vivekananda.
• It celebrated every year to create awareness amongst the people, youths about the importance of Rights in India.
• National Youth Day is also known as Yuva Diwas.
Ashok Chawla resigned as chairman of the NSE
• Ashok Chawla resigned as chairman of the National Stock Exchange of India Ltd.
• He has been appointed as the Chairman of National Stock Exchange since 2017.
• He has also served as a Secretary in Ministry of Finance, Government of India and as the Chairman of the Competition Commission of India.
The 11th edition of EIU Democracy Index 2018: Norway tops, India ranks 41st
• The Economist Intelligent Unit has released the 11th edition of the EIU Democracy Index 2018 which ranks 167 countries.
• According to the report ranking, Norway has topped while Iceland Sweden and New Zealand were ranked 2nd, 3rd, and 4th respectively.
• India has ranked at 41st place.
• Pakistan has ranked at 112th position.
• The Index was started in 2006.
• No country from Asia and African continent are in the top 10 lists of annual democracy Index.
ICC Test Team Ranking: India retain No.1 position
• ICC Test Team Ranking has released on 14th January 2019 and India has retained No.1 spot in the updated ICC Test Team Ranking.
• India is leading the list with 116 points.
• India leads over South Africa, who were placed at the 2nd position in the Ranking with 106 points.
List of ICC Test Team Ranking
Sikkim CM launched "One Family One Job" Scheme
• Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling launched the "One Family One Job" Scheme in Gangtok.
• It aims to provide a government job for every family in the state.
• Over 12,000 unemployed youths were given appointment letters, however, the letters were awarded to those families which do have a government job at present.
• Under this scheme, all loan debts in the farming and agriculture sector would be revoked.
National Youth Parliament Festival 2019 launched in New Delhi
• Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports, Rajyavardhan Rathore launched the National Youth Parliament Festival 2019 in New Delhi.
• The theme of the festival is -"Be the Voice of New India and Find solutions and contribute to policy"
• Youth in the age group of 18-25 years are invited to participate in the District Youth Parliaments.
• Rajyavardhan Rathore proposes to take the Youth Festival to each district of the country and celebrate it as the "National Youth Parliament Festival"
• Youth can participate by uploading a short video on @mygovindia website or by visiting your districts Nodal Institute in person-Rathore said.
TCS appoints Daniel Hughes Callahan as Independent director.
• India's largest IT service company Tata Consultancy Service has appointed Daniel Hughes Callahan as additional and Independent director.
• He has been appointed as additional and Independent director for a period of five years with effect from 10 January 2019.
• Callahan was the Chief Administrative Officer and Head of Operation and Technology at Citigroup and was a member of Citi's Operating Committee until Nov 2018.
Gujarat became 1st state to implement 10% Quota for EWS
• Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has announced that his government will implement 10% Quota for Economically Weak sections in general category.
• Gujarat became 1st state to implement 10% Quota for Economically Weak sections in general category.
• The 10% Quota will be applicable for reservation in Jobs and educational institution to economically backward sections in the general category.
• The Bill will provide the reservation on basis of income, not caste.
• The Quota will benefit Brahmins, Rajputs (Thakurs), Jats, Marathas, Bhumihars, several trading castes, Kapus and Kammas among other upper castes.
Indian Army Day celebrated on 15th January
• Indian Army Day is celebrated on 15th January every year.
• It has been started celebrating to respect the Lieutenant General of India, Kodandera Madappa Cariappa who was the first Commander-in-chief of the Indian Army from General Sir Francis Butcher, the last British Commander-in-chief.
• This is the 71st celebration of the Indian Army.
• It is celebrated to dedicate to the soldiers who fought to safeguard the country's honour and salute to the courageous and brave Indian Soldiers who have been sacrificed their lives for protecting the country.
Deepak Maheshwari has taken charge as CCO at axis bank
• Deepak Maheshwari, the retired HDFC Bank executive and former Federal Bank board member has taken charge as Chief credit officer (CCO) at Axis Bank.
• He had taken over as CCO to oversee corporate credit appraisal and disbursement at the Axis Bank.
• He was also granted an exemption to take over as CCO by the board of Axis Bank as he is now 64 which is above the bank's retirement age of 60.
Shakil Ahmed sets a World Record in Indoor Rowing
• Asian Cup gold medallist Shakil Ahmed set a world record in Indoor Rowing by completing 1 lakh meters in above-40 years category in Kolkata on 14th January 2019.
• She achieved the milestone by completing 1 lakh meters of simulated distance in 10 hours.
• She also has the record of completing 50,000 meters of simulated distance in 4 hours 13 minutes which is already in the Limca Record Book.
TCA Anant appointed as a member of UPSC
• Former chief statistician TCA Anant has been appointed as a member of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
• He was administered the oath of office by UPSC Chairman Arvind Saxena.
• A member of UPSC has a maximum of six-year tenure or till incumbent attains the age of 65 years.
• The commission has a strength of 10 members, besides a chairperson.
• Former Delhi Police Commissioner Bhim Sain Bassi, Prof. Pradeep Kumar Joshi, Air Marshal A S Bhonsle (retired), Sujata Mehta, Manoj Soni, Smita Nagaraj, Msathiyavathy and Bhushan Vyas are members of the UPSC.
• After Anant's appointment, the commission has one more vacancy.
Vice President inaugurated the International Kite Festival and Sweet Festival in Hyderabad, Telangana
• Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the 4th International Kite Festival and 2nd International Sweet Festival in Hyderabad, Telangana on 13th January.
• The theme of the International Kite Festival was for the empowerment of the girl child: "Educate girl child and she will save the world".
• In this Kite Festival, 42 professional kite flyers from aboard and 60 from India participated. Moreover, sweets from 20 countries and from 25 India states were displayed at the Sweet Festival.
• Makar Sankranthi is the festival of Sun God who is often regarded as the symbol divinity and wisdom.
• In south India, it is called 'Pongal', in Panjab and Haryana it is called 'Lohri', in Assm it is called 'Bihu' and in Bihar it is called 'Khichdi Festival'.
Fields Medal-Winning Mathematician Michael Atiyah Passes Away
• Fields Medal-Winning Mathematician Michael Atiyah Passed away at the age of 89.
• He was a British mathematician who received the 1966 Fields Medal, also known as the 'Nobel for Mathematics'.
• He was also the President of the Royal Society from 1990-1995.
• He was best known for his co-development of a branch of mathematics called topological K-theory and the Atiyah-Singer index theorem.
ICICI Bank appointed B Sriram, Rama Bijapurkar as independent director
• ICICI Bank appointed B Sriram and Rama Bijapurkar as independent directors.
• Both are appointed for 5 years, subject to the approval of shareholders, ICICI Bank stated in a regulatory filing on stock exchanges.
• B Sriram retired as the managing director of IDBI Bank in September in 2018, prior to IDBI Bank, he was SBI Managing Director
• B Sriram is former SBI managing Director and Rama Bijapurkar is a management consultant.
Sarfaraz Ahmed becomes the wicket-keeper with the most number of catches
♦ Pakistan skipper Sarfaraz Ahmed has set a world record to become the wicket-keeper with the number of catches in a match.
♦ He has set a record during the final Test match against South Africa in the third test at Wanderers Stadium in Johannesburg.
♦ Sarfaraz Ahmed is the current captain of the Pakistan Cricket Team.
♦ He took 10 catches in the on-going Test match and surpassed Australia's Adam Gilchrist and former Indian captain, MS Dhoni, to become the only wicket-keeper captain with the most number of catches.
Ananth Narayanan quits his position as CEO of Myntra and Jabong
♦ Ananth Narayanan has resigned his position as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Myntra and Jabong.
♦ Flipkart Group CEO Kalyan Krishnamurthy named Amar Nagaram, head as the new CEO of Myntra and Jabong.
♦ As a part of the new structure, Myntra and Jabong has been brought under Flipkart.
♦ Narayanan joined Myntra in 2015 replacing its founder Mukesh Bansal, who had taken up the role of chairman at the firm at that time.
10th edition of India Rubber Expo 2019 held in Mumbai
♦ The 10th edition of India Rubber Expo - 2019 inaugurated by Union Minister of Commerce and Industry, Suresh Prabhu in Mumbai.
♦ The 3-day event being held at the Bombay Exhibition Centre in Mumbai.
♦ This flagship event is organized by All India Rubber Industries one of the oldest premier industries Association in the country, established in 1945.
♦ This event has grown to be one of the most anticipated events in the rubber industry.
India-Myanmar joint training exercise begins in Chandimandir
♦ The second edition of the India-Myanmar bilateral army exercise, IMBEX 2018-19 begins in Chandimandir Military Station, that house the headquarters of the Western Command, Chandigarh.
♦ The aim of this exercise is to train the Myanmar delegation for participation in United Nations peacekeeping operations under the UN flag.
♦ The exercise includes the participation of 15 officers from the Myanmar Army and 15 officers from the Indian Army.
India's Satyarup becomes World's Youngest Mountaineer to climb 7 Peaks, 7 Volcano Summits
♦ Mountaineer Satyarup Siddhanta climbed Antartica's highest point, Mount Sidley.
♦ He became the first Indian and youngest man to climb the 7highest peaks and volcanic summits across all continents.
♦ He achieved the unique feat at the age of 35 years and 262 days, setting a new world record by beating Australia's Daniel Bull who did it at the age of 36 years and 157 days.
♦ Last year, he scaled Pico de Orizaba which is the highest volcanic peak in North America.
♦ He hails from South Kolkata and is a software engineer by profession.
Petr Cech announces his retirement
♦ Arsenal goalkeeper Petr Cech has announced his retirement from football.
♦ Petr Cech started his career from Czech Republic outfit Chmel Blsany and made his senior debut at the age of 17 in 1999. He then moved to French club Rennes, before moving to Chelsea in the winter transfer window of 2017 for a reported fee of seven million pounds, becoming the most expensive goalkeeper in Chelsea's history.
♦ Arsenal Football Club is a professional football club based in Islington, London, England, that plays in the Premier League, the top flight of English football.
Byju's acquires Osmo
♦ Byju's has acquired a U.S. based Osmo, an award-winning playful learning platform, for $120 million.
♦ Promod Sharma is the chief executive and co-founder.
♦ BYJU'S is the learning App, is the popular brand name for Think and Learn Private Ltd., a Bangalore-based educational technology and online tutoring firm.
♦ Byju's was founded in 2011by Byju Raveendran at Bangalore, Karnataka, India. BYJU'S was the first investment in Asia from the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative.
Chinese Lawer wins Franco-German Human Right Award
♦ Chinese Lawer Yu Wensheng has won a Franco-German human rights award.
♦ The French and German ambassadors to Beijing have granted this award.
♦ The award is for his 'exceptional contribution' to the protection and promotion of human rights.
Tamil Nadu state launched "ROADEO"- a Robot for Road Safety
♦ The Chennai Traffic Pollice has launched a road safety robot into service on 14 January 2019.
♦ The name of the robot is "ROADEO".
♦ The robot will help police in traffic management and assist pedestrians in Chennai roads.
♦ The robot will make pedestrians, especially children, feel safe while crossing the roads.
♦The robot has been developed by schoolchildren of a private robotics lab in Chennai.
♦ Chennai becomes the second city after Mumbai to deploy robots in traffic management.
"Jai Kisan Rin Mukti Yojana" launched in Madya Pradesh
♦ Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Kamal Nath has launched the agricultural loan waiver scheme named "Jai Kisan Rin Mukti Yojana".
♦ It will benefit 55 lakh small and marginal farmers.
♦ This is the Rs 50,000-crore farm loan waiver scheme.
Manu Sawhney appointed as the new CEO of ICC
♦ Manu Sawhney has appointed as the new chief executive officer of International Cricket Council.
♦The appointment is confirmed by the ICC Board.
♦ He is the former CEO of Singapore Sports Hub and Managing Director of ESPN Star Sports.
♦ He is formally taking over from David Richardson after the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup in July.
Mary Oliver Pulitzer Prize-winning Poet Passed Away
♦ Pulitzer Prize-winning Poet Mary Oliver passed away at home in Hobe Sound Florida at the age of 83.
♦ Mary Oliver wrote 15 poetry and essay collection.
♦ She won the Pulitzer in 1984 for American Primitive and National Book Award in 1992 for New and Selected Poems.
♦ She also received the Lannan Literary Award for lifetime achievement in 1998.
Japan launched Epsilon-4 rocket with 7 satellites
♦ Japan launched the Epsilon-4 rocket carrying 7 satellites from the Uchinoura Space Center in Kagoshima on 18th January 2019.
♦ The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) has launched this satellites.
♦ The Satellites have been developed by private sector companies and Universities.
♦ It was for the first time launched to space in 2013. The second time in late 2016 while the third Epsilon launch vehicle lifted off in January 2018.
♦ The Epsilon is a solid fuel rocket equipped with artificial intelligence technology that cuts labor and launch costs, and which can be controlled from the ground by just two personal computers.
Asif Saeed Khan Khosa appointed as the 26th Chief Justice of Pakistan
♦ Asif Saeed Khan Khosa has been appointed as the new Chief Justice of Pakistan.
♦ He became the 26th Chief Justice of Pakistan.
♦ He was administered the oath by President Arif Alvi, in the ceremony which was also attended by Prime Minister Imran Khan, judges of higher courts, minister, civil and military official, lawyers and foreign guests, including from India.
Haryana government announced "Shaurya Award"
♦ Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar announced "Shaurya Award" to students.
♦ The award was given in the name of 71 martyrs of the state police force, who laid down their lives while maintaining law and order and protecting society.
♦The announcement was made by Manohar Lal Khattar at the first state-level function at National Police Memorial in New Delhi.
♦ Under this award, prize money of Rs11,000 will be given to a student for courageous deeds every year in a village block where is located.
♦ Chief Minister, Manohar Lal Khattar also released a book titled "Martyrs of Haryana Police" which highlights the heroic deeds of the police personnel.
Nagpur host the 4-day 2nd World Orange Festival
♦ Nagpur, the city of Oranges host the 4-day 2nd World Orange Festival for the first time on 19th January 2019.
♦ The festival is presented by UPL and hosted by Maharastra Tourism.
♦ The festival will also showcase and brand the exquisite fruit in order to boost its export.
India Rankings: GDP to be a tad Higher to 7.5% in FY20
♦ India Ratings, a Fitch Group Company estimated India's GDP growth could touch 7.5% in the financial year 2019-2020 as against 7.2% during current fiscal i.e. 2018-2019.
♦ The agency estimate, GDP growth in FY20 will be more dispersed and evenly balanced across sectors as well as demand-side growth drivers.
♦ Indian Ratings believes investments are slowly but steadily gaining traction with gross fixed capital formation growing 12.2% in FY19 nad projected tp 10.3% in FY20.
HDFC Standard Life changed its name to HDFC Life Insurance
♦ HDFC Standard Life Insurance changed its name to HDFC Life Insurance.
♦ The change in name is effective off the bat and the company will henceforth operate under the name HDFC Life Insurance Company Ltd.
♦ The new HDFC Life three dimensional logo comes together to create a frame, capturing life's special moments that can be looked upon with pride and joy. Red stands for vibrancy, youthfulness, exuberance; blue for dependability, financial expertise; and dark red for (vermillion) long life.
15th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas held at Varanasi in UP
♦ PM Narendra Modi inaugurated the 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas at Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh.
♦ The 3-day event is being organized from 21 to 23 January 2019 for the first time.
♦ The theme of this event is, "Role of Indian Diaspora in building New India".
♦ Prime Minister of Mauritius, Pravind Jugnauth was the guest in this function.
♦ Several world leaders of Indian origin, including Chief guest Mr. Pravind Jugnauth
♦ Prime Minister of Mauritius, Pravind Jugnauth, who was chief guest will take part in the event and share their insights on the theme.
♦ Information and Broadcasting Minister Rajyavardhan Rathore inaugurated several exhibitions including a digital on the theme of 'Ek Bharat Swacch Bharat: Sardar Patel and Gandhi ke Sapno ka Bharat.
Defense Minister inaugurated the Diffo Bridge in Arunachal Pradesh
♦ Defense Minister Nirmala Sitharama inaugurated the Diffo Bridge over Chipu River in Lower Dibang Valley District of Arunachal Pradesh.
♦ The bridge is 426 meters long.
♦ The construction of the bridge started in 2011.
♦ The total cost to build the bridge was Rs 4,847.83 lakh
Nepal's Central Bank announces Ban of Indian Notes above Rs100
♦ Nepal's Central Bank has banned the use of Indian currency notes of Rs 2,000, Rs 500 and Rs 200 denomination.
♦ According to Nepal's Central Bank, Indian currency notes of Rs 2,000, Rs 500 and Rs 200 cannot be carried and used for trading.
♦ It could affect Indian tourists visiting the Himalayan nation where currency note is widely used.
♦ Under the new regulation, Nepali citizen cannot carry these denominations to countries other than India.
♦ Nepalis are also not allowed to bring such notes from other countries.
♦ Indian notes of Rs 100 or below are allowed for trading and conversion.
Rio de Janeiro named as 1st World Capital of Architecture for 2020
♦ The UNESCO has named the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro as the World Capital of Architecture.
♦ Rio will be the first city to receive the title under a program launched together by United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organisation and the International Union of Architects (UIA) in Nov 2018.
♦ Earlier Paris and Melbourne secured the position.
♦ As the first World Capital of Architecture, Rio de Janeiro will hold a series of events under the theme "All the worlds, Just one world" and promote the internationally agreed 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development's 11th Goal: "Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable."
World Economic Forum Meet begins in Switzerland
♦ The 49th annual meeting of the World Economic Forum (WEF) began in Davos, Switzerland.
♦ The theme of the event "Globalization 4.0: Shaping a Global Architecture in the Age of the Fourth Industrial Revolution."
India to surpass UK in World's Largest Economy Ranking in 2019: PwC
♦ According to Global Consultancy firm PwC report India is likely to surpass the United Kingdom in the world's largest economy rankings in 2019, to become the world's fifth largest economy.
♦ The PwC report has projected real GDP growth of 1.6% for the UK, 1.7% for France and 7.6% for India in 2019.
♦ According to the projected real GDP growth rate, India and France are likely to surpass the UK in the world's largest economy rankings in 2019.
4th India Steel 2019 Exhibition and Conference held in Mumbai
♦ 4th Indian Steel 2019 Exhibition and Conference held in Mumbai.
♦ The 3-day event 'India Steel Expo 2019' is organized by the Ministry of Steel, Government of India from 22-24 January 2019.
♦ The event provided an opportunity to International Steel Producers, Technology Companies to deliberate and identify ways to contribute toward building a robust roadmap for further growth of the steel sector and develop a healthy business relationship with the Indian steel industry.
Global Talent Competitiveness Index: India ranks 80st
♦ India has moved up one position to rank 80th on Global Talent Competitiveness Index Ranking.
♦ Switzerland retained the top position in the list.
♦ The ranking was released on the 1st day of the World Economic Forum (WEF) annual meeting by INSEAD business school in partnership with Tata Communication and Adecco Group.
Maharastra Cabinet approves Rs 25 crore for Divyangs
♦ Maharashtra cabinet has approved Rs 25 crore for Divyangs (differently-abled).
♦ Each Divyangs (differently-abled) person will get a financial help of Rs 3.75 lakh to purchase eco-friendly vehicles and mobile vehicle shop.
♦ This will benefit around 650 Divyangs (differently-abled) persons in the state, this decision is aimed at making the differently-abled persons financially independent.
ICC named Rishabh Pant as Emerging Cricketer of the Year 2018
♦ The 21-year-old Rishabh Pant was named the International Cricket Council's (ICC) Emerging Player of the Year.
♦ India first ever Test series win in Australia.
♦ Rishabh Pant scored 350 runs in the four-match Test series that India won 2-1 to script history in 71 years.
♦ He becomes the first Indian wicket-keeper to score a Test century in England and equaled the record for the most catches taken in a Test, with 11 against Australia in Adelaide in Dec.
♦ He was also the first Indian wicketkeeper to score a Test hundred in Australia.
Agyey Kumar appointed as a new Executive Director of PNB
♦ Agyey Kumar has been appointed as a new Executive Director of Panjab National Bank (PNB) on 22nd January 2019.
♦ He was formerly general manager (GM) of the Bank of India and was posted at Nairobi, Kenya, as country head.
♦ At present Panjab National Bank (PNB) has two Executive Directors.
♦ The other existing Executive Director is LV Prabhakar.
Yes Bank ties up with Maharastra Bank for electronic PDS
♦ The Maharastra government has partnered with Yes Bank.
♦ Under its Yes Bank will empower more than 20,000 ration shop which can offer the last mile basic banking services to maore than 7 lakh beneficiaries.
♦ The bank will cover about 40% of all the PDS shops across locations.
♦ As part of the initiative, the lender will engage fair price shops to provide banking services such as small value cash deposits into any bank account, including domestic remittance and withdrawal from any bank via Aadhaar enabled payment system.
Gujarati Poet Sitanshu Yashashchandra awarded Saraswati Samman 2017
♦ Gujarati Poet Sitanshu Yashachandra has been awarded SARASWATI sAMMAN, 2017, for his poetry collection in Gujarati named "Vakhar".
♦ K.K Birla Foundation has instituted the 27th edition of this prestigious award.
♦ The award is given every year to an outstanding work of an Indian citizen published during the last 10 years in any of the languages mentioned in Schedule 8 of the constitution.
♦ The award comprises of a citation and a plaque apart from award money of 15 lakh rupees.
3 UAE based Indian win Prestigious Pravasi Bhartiya Samman Award
♦ Three UAE based Indian win the prestigious Pravasi Bhartiya Samman Award the highest honor conferred on India diaspora.
♦ President Ram Nath Kovind conferred the award on Grish Pant, Surender Singh Kandhari, and Dr. Zulekha Daud and other awardees at the Pravasi Bhartiya Divas Convention in Varanasi.
♦ Girish Pant is a social worker,
♦ Surender Singh Kandhari is chairman of the Guru Nanak Darbar Sikh Temple and a philanthropist, businessman and
♦ Dr. Zulekha is founder and chairperson of Zulekha Healthcare group.
Arunachal Pradesh govt declares Pakke Paga Hornbill Fest as 'State Festival'
♦ Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister, Pema Khandu declared the Pakke Paga Hornbill Festival as "State Festival" at Seijosa in East Kameng district.
♦ Pakke Paga Hornbill Festival is only conservation festival of Arunachal Pradesh.
♦ The first-ever Pakke Paga Hornbill Festival (PPHF) held on 16-18th January 2015.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Pravasi Teerth Darshan Yojana
♦ Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Pravasi Teerth Darshan Yojana.
♦ Under this Yojana, a group of Indian diaspora will be taken on a govt-sponsored tour of religious places in India twice a year.
♦ The first batch of 40 Indian-origin people are at the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas and from here they will begin their tour.
National Girl Child Day observed on 24 January
♦ National Girl Child Day is observed on 24 January
♦ The theme of National Girl Child Day this year is "Empowering Girls for a Brighter Tomorrow".
♦ The Women and Child Development Ministry also observed the anniversary of 'Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme.
♦ The event was organized at Pravasi Bharti Kendra, New Delhi.
International Day of Education observed on 24 January
♦ International Day of Education is observed on 24 January.
♦ On 3rd December 2018, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution declaring 24th January as 'International Day of Education'.
♦ In India, National Education Day is observed on 11th November to commemorate the birth anniversary of the first education minister of Independent India-Maulana Abul Kalam Azad.
2nd World Integrated Medicine Forum 2019 held in Goa
♦ The 3-day 2nd World Integrated Medicine Forum 2019 on the Regulation of Homeopathic Medical Product held in Goa.
♦ AYUSH Minister Shripad Naik inaugurated the forum.
♦ The themes of the forum are: Regulatory collaboration, Converging on minimum regulatory & legal standards, Advancing safety and quality standards, Regulatory trend towards standardization and minimizing complexity, Recognizing homeopathy as a distinct holistic medical system and Veterinary Homeopathy.
Mohammed Shami became the fastest Indian bowler to reach 100 ODI Wickets
Mohammed Shami became the fastest Indian bowler to reach 100 ODI wickets during the first one-dayer against New Zealand at Napier.
Shami reached the milestone in his 56th match, with the wicket of opener Martin Guptill.
Earlier India's record held by Irfan Pathan in 59th matches in 2006.
Currently, The world record is held by Afghanistan leg-spinner Rashid Khan, reached the mark in just 44 games.
India Africa Field Training Exercise (IAFTX) 2019 held in Pune
The India Africa Field Training Exercise (IAFTX) 2019 will be held in Pune, Maharastra from 18th to 27th March 2019.
The final planning conference to work out the modalities for Indian Africa Field Training Exercise is being conducted at Pune, Maharastra.
The joint training exercise aims at synergizing humanitarian mine action and joint peace operations.
The India Africa Field Training Exercise (IAFTX) 2019 will boost strategic Cooperation, political and military ties between countries.
World's longest 3D Printed bridge opened in China
The world's longest 3D printed concrete pedestrian bridge opened in Shanghai, China.
The 3D printed bridge is 26.3 meter-long and 3.6 meter-wide.
The bridge is made out of 44 hollowed-out 3D printed concrete blocks which were printed by two robotic aims in a span of 19 days.
The Bridge is designed by Professor Xy Weiguo from Tsinghua University in China.
97-Years-Old Kerala Student made Commonwealth Learning's Goodwill Ambassador
Karthiyani Amma became Commonwealth Learning Goodwill Ambassador.
She had bagged the first rank with 98% marks in the 'Aksharalaksham' literacy exam for Grade 4 conducted by the Kerala government in November last year.
Literacy exam includes reading, writing and Mathematics skills.
She has been honoured by the Commonwealth of Learning.
She was the oldest ever candidate to appear for Kerala Literacy Mission's Akshara Laksham (Million Letters) literacy exam.
'Aksharalaksham' programme was launched by the government of Kerala on 26th January 2018 to achieve 100% literacy in the state.
UN Report: India's growth to accelerate from 7.4% to 7.6% in FY20
The United Nations released the World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP) 2019 report which estimated India's GDP to grow at 7.4% during 2018-2019 and improve to 7.6% in 2019-20.
According to the report, the global economy is expected to grow at a steady pace of around 3% in 2019 and 2020 but global trade tensions pose a threat to the economic outlook.
Global Investors Summit held in Chennai
The government of Tamil Nadu organized the 2nd edition of Global Investor Summit in Chennai.
In the opening ceremony, Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman was the chief guest.
The Global Investor Summit was to be held every two years.
The government has allocated nearly Rs 75 crore to conduct the event.
It was being participated by about five thousand delegates from industries in India and aboard.
JNPT becomes only Indian Port to be ranked amongst World's Top 30 Container Ports
The Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JPNT) has become India's only port to be ranked amongst World's top 30 container port, according to latest Lloyds Report.
The Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JPNT) NOTCHED UP FIVE SPOTS, to be 28th on the list, compared to its previous ranking.
Ravneet Gill appointed as new MD and CEO of Yes Bank
Ravneet Gill has been appointed as the new Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Yes Bank.
He will succeed Rana Kapoor.
He is the CEO of Deutsche Bank in India, will join Yes Bank on or before March 1.
He joined Deutsche Bank in 1991.
Yes Bank is India's fifth private sector lender.
Piyush Goyal appointed as Interim Finance Minister & Corporate Affairs Minister
Piyush Goyal appointed as the interim finance minister & corporate affairs minister because of Arun Jetly's health issues
Goyal's tenure as interim finance minister will be till August 2019.
Goyal will retain his existing portfolios of coal and railways.
National Voters Day: 25th January
National Voters Day is observed on 25th January every year.
This is the ninth year of celebrating National Voters Day.
The theme of National Voters Day 2019 is "No Voter to be left behind".
National Voters Day is celebrated on 25th January every year to mark the foundation day of the Election Commission of India (ECI) which was established on this day in the year 1950.
The purpose of National Voters Day is to encourage young generation towards the voting rights
Sunil Lamba commissioned new Naval Air Base "INS Kohassa"
♦ Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lamba commissioned new Naval Air Base "INS Kohassa" at Diglipur in Andaman and Nicobar Island.
♦ The air base is situated at the northernmost part of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
♦ The new air base will be used for both defence and civil aircraft.
♦ The air base will be used to handle the operation of helicopters and small aircraft like the Dornier.
Christophe Joseph Marie Dabire became new Prime Minister of Burkina Faso
♦ Christophe Joseph Marie Dabire has been appointed as new Prime Minister of Burkina Faso.
♦ Dabire worked as commissions for 10 years at the West African Economic and Monetary Union. He served as ministers under former President Blaise Compaore between 1994 and 1996.
♦ He was head of the department of health between 1992 to 1997 and Higher Education and Scientific Research between 1997 to 2000.
India signs MoU with Sri Lanka to Modernize Facilities Vipulananda Institute
♦ India signed MoU with Sri Lanka to modernize Facilities to Swami Vipulananda Institute of Aesthetic Studies of Eastern University in Batticaloa district of Srilanka.
♦ The MoU was signed by High Commissioner of India to Sri Lanka Taranjit Singh Sandhu, and Secretary, Minister of City Planning, Water Supply and Higher Education M.M.P.K. Mayadunne.
♦ The project involved renovation of the auditorium and construction of a new building with recording cum editing facilities for the institute through a grant of over 27 crore Sri Lankan rupees from the Government of India.
Telangana government set up "Save Tiger Protection"
♦ Telangana government has set up "Save Tiger Protection" to save the big cat population in the state.
♦ The State and Central government will share the cost of the force with 112 members headed by the assistant conservator of the forest on 40 : 60 basis.
♦ Fund amount 2.25 also crore was sanctioned to protect the tiger and to prevent forest fire accidents in the areas of Amarabad and Kawal tiger reserves.
Parthasara Mukherjee to head Lakshmi Vilas Bank for another two years
♦ Private sector Lakshmi Vilas Bank has reappointed Parthasara Mukherjee as its managing director when the lender is struggling to raise Rs 2000 crore from investors.
♦ Reserve Bank of India (RBI0 has approved his reappointment.
♦ Mukherjee will head Lakshmi Vilas Bank for another two years.
Kristin Scott Thomas appointed as the President of France's Cesar Awards
♦ Kristin Scott Thomas appointed as the President of French Academy's most prestigious ceremony, Cesar Awards.
♦ This actress assumed the chair of President after it had been headless for the past two years.
♦ The president herself is a three-time Cesar nominee for her roles in "I've Loved You So Long," "Leaving", and "Sarah's Key".
Crisil Report: Bihar top State in terms of GDP growth in FY18
♦ Bihar has been ranked the Top state in terms of Gross State Domestic Product (GSDP) as per Crisil Report.
♦ The state has topped the list by clocking a growth rate of 11.3% in the financial year 2017-2018.
♦ Andhra Pradesh has been ranked at second spot with GSDP growth rate 11.2%.
♦ Gujarat has been ranked at third spot with GSDP growth rate 11.1%.
♦ Madhya Pradesh which was the top in 2017 with GSDP growth rate of 14% has lost its position with a growth rate of 7.3% in 2018.
♦ In 2017 Bihar was ranked at the 8th spot.
♦ 12 out of 17 non-special states performed better in 2018 as compared to the previous five years.
♦ In fiscal 2018, Jharkhand, Kerala, and Punjab performed poorly and ranked at the bottom
Bloomberg 2019 Innovative Index: India ranks at 54th Position among most innovative countries
♦ For the first time ever, India has been ranked in Bloomberg Innovation Index.
♦ India has been ranked at 54th position among most innovative countries with a score of 47.93 out of 100 according to the Blomberg 2019 Innovative Index.
♦ South Korea has retained the top position for the sixth time in a row with a score of 87.38, followed by Germany with a score of 87.30, Finland with a score of 85.70, Switzerland, Island, Singapore, Sweden, U.S., Japan, and France in the top 10.
♦ India, Mexico, Vietnam, and Saudi Arabia are the new entrants in the Annual Bloomberg Innovation Index.
♦ The countries and sovereigns have been ranked on the basis of their overall ability to innovate considering seven-equal weighted metrics including Research and Development spending, Manufacturing Categories and Concentration of high-tech public computers.
China becomes the world's biggest retail market in 2019
♦ China may overtake the United States as the world's largest retail market this year according to a report published by Research firm eMarketer.
♦ Research firm eMarketer predicted that China will become the world's biggest retail market in 2019.
♦ The report predicted that China's total retail sales will grow 7.5% to reach 5.636 trillion U.S. dollars in 2019, while that of the United States will grow 3.3% to 5.529 trillion.
India Celebrates 70th Republic Day
♦ The Country celebrates its 70th Republic Day on 26th January with a grand military parade held in Rajpath, New Delhi.
♦ The Constitution of India came into effect on 26th January 1950.
♦ The Constitution had replaced the Government of India, Act 1935.
♦ South African President Cyril Ramaphosa's is the chief guest of this year's Republic Day.
'Nari Shakti' declared as Oxford Dictionaries Hindi Word of the Year
♦ Oxford has declared 'Nari Shakti' as Hindi word of the year 2018.
♦ According to the Oxford dictionaries, the word, derived from Sanskrit, is used to symbolize women who are capable to take charge of their lives.
'♦ Nari Shakti' is made of two words 'Nari' and 'Shakti', 'Nari' means Women and 'Shakti' means Power.
Virat Kohli overtakes Brain Lara to become 10th highest ODI run-getter
♦ Indian Capitan Virat Kohli has become the 10th highest ODI run-getter, achieving the feat during his 45 run knocks against New Zealand in the first ODI.
♦ Kohli has scored 10,430 runs in 212 innings, overtakes Brain Lara, who scored 10,405 runs in 289 ODI innings.
♦ Kohli is the only active player among the top-ten ODI run-getters.
England's Daniel Hazelle retired from International Cricket
♦ England off-spinner Danielle Hazelle retired from international cricket.
♦ She made her debut match in 2009 and represent her country 146 times in international level in which she captained the team twice.
♦ She has two World Cups and three Ashes under her belt
India and Nepal to set up an Energy Banking Mechanism
♦ India and Nepal have agreed to set up an energy banking mechanism to make use of the surplus electricity in an essential and a useful way.
♦ The agreement on the 'Energy Banking Mechanism was arrived at during a meeting between the Nepal and India Energy Secretaries in Pokhara.
♦ This partnership will help Nepal export its surplus electricity to neighbor Inda during the monsoon season and import power during the winter season.
Amul Camel Milk launched in Gujarat
♦ The Gujarat Co-operative Milk Marketing Federation Ltd has launched Amul Camel Milk in selective areas of Gujarat.
♦ Initially, Amul Camel Milk launched in selected markets of Gandhinagar, Ahmedabad, and Kutch.
♦ Price of 500 ml will be Rs.50 and it should be refrigerated with shelf life of three days.
♦ The camel milk offers a wide range of benefits such as Camel milk assists healthy bacteria growth in the gut making it easy to digest, it also improves gastrointestinal health and systemic immunity.
Tamil Nadu govt begged two awards for Beti Bachao Beti Padao Scheme
♦ Tamil Nadu has bagged two awards for its performance pertaining to the Union government's Beti Bachao Beti Padho Scheme at the National Girl Child Day celebrations in New Delhi.
♦ The one award was for State and another for its district Tiruvannamalai.
♦ Minister for Women and Child Development, Maneka Gandhi presented the awards to the selected districts and States.
♦ Principal Secretary to the State government, K.Manivasan, received the State award and Tiruvannamalai District Collector K.S. Kandasamy received the district-level award.
Kerala government launched "Pravasi Dividend Pension Scheme"
♦ Kerala government P. Sathasivam has launched "Pravasi Dividend Pension Scheme to provide pension to Non-Resident Keralites.
♦ All the NRI would be able to avail regular pension on a one-time payment of Rs 5 lakh.
♦ There are 2.1 million migrants from Kerala state who are residing in the various part of the world.
♦ A non-resident Keralite can invest an amount ranging from Rs 5 lakh to Rs 50 lakh, as a whole or as 6 installments paid within 3 years.
♦ Each beneficiary will be entitled to receive pensions ranging from Rs 5,000-50,000 every month, 3 year after the total amount is deposited, at a dividend rate of 12%.
Novak Djokovic defeats Nadal to win his 7th Australian Open Title
♦ Novak Djokovic defeated Rafael Nadal to win his 7th Australian Open Men's Single title at Melbourne.
♦ World No.1 outplayed the second-ranked Nadal 6-3, 6-2, 6-3 in a largely one side match.
♦ In Women's singles, Japan's Naomi Osaka clinched her maiden Australian Open Grand Slam Single title in Melbourne.
♦ Osaka defeated Petra Kvitova Czech Republic 7-6, 5-7, 6-4 in the summit clash.
Defence Minister launched "RDP INDIA 2019"
♦ Ministry of Defence has launched a mobile app 'RDP India 2019' on the Republic Day.
♦ This app contains information about the Prade on Rajpath, New Delhi, including order of the March, details of the tableaux presented by different States and Ministries, children cultural performances, fly past and names of recipients of Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar 2019.
♦ The app also had the provision for live streaming of the parade.
MP launched an employment scheme "Yuva Swabhiman Yojana" for urban youth
♦ Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Kamal Nath has launched an employment scheme 'Yuva Swabhiman Yojana' for urban youths form economically weaker sections.
♦ The scheme was launched in Chhindwara, Madhya Pradesh.
♦ The main aim is to provide employment to the youth belonging to the weaker section of the society mainly in urban areas of the state.
♦ Under this scheme, 100 days of employment will be provided. They will also be given skill training.
Sugarcane Juice declared as National Drink of Pakistan
♦ The Pakistan government declared Sugarcane Juice as the "National drink" of the country.
♦ They came at this decision after asking People's opinion in twitter to choose one among orange, carrot, and sugarcane.
♦ According to the poll, 7616 people or 81% voted in favour of Sugarcane Juice while 15% voted in favour of Orange and 4% for Carrot.
India Ranks 6th in GDPR Readiness Index: CISCO
♦ According to CISCO report, India ranked 6th in General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) readiness index.
♦ As per report 65% of Indian organizations are better prepared for the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), making the country the 6th leading nation globally in the GDPR readiness index.
♦ As per the report, 59% of organization across the world reported meeting all requirements or most of the requirements, 29% expect to do so within a year while 9% will take more than a year.
Hrithik Roshan appointed as Brand Ambassador of Flamingo
♦ Medical products maker Ascent Meditech has appointed Bollywood actor Hrithik Roshan as the brand ambassador for their brand 'Flamingo'.
♦ Ascent Meditech targets orthopedic, healthcare, wound and injury markets through an extensive range of products, till to date Flamingo range over 300 products available to 47 countries in the world.
Former New Zealand bowler Ewen Chatfield retired from Cricket
♦ Former New Zealand bowler Ewen Chatfield retired from Cricket at the age of 68.
♦ He made his debut in 1975.
♦He started his international career in 1975 with a Test match against England in Auckland.
♦ Ewen Chatfield retired from international cricket in 1989, then he played for the club for 51 years which gave him his identity. he played for ♦ the club named "Wellington club Naenae Old Boys.
Roshni, App Developed to Help Visually Impaired Identify Notes
♦ The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Ropar, has developed an app 'Roshni'.
♦ This app would help the Visual Impaired in recognizing the denomination of the currency notes.
♦ The user has to bring the currency note in front of the phone camera and the App would provide audio information as to which note you are holding in your hands.
♦ The app can recognise both old and new noted and gives audio information.
♦ The App is developed by assistant professor Dr. Puneet Goyal and his students-Mandhtya Singh, Joohi Chauhan, and R Ram.
♦ The app was launched in Chandigarh.
D N Chakraborty gets Assam Republic Day Journalism Award
♦ Assam government has entitled the Republic Day Journalism Award 2019 to veteran journalist and former editor Dhirendra Nath Chakraborty.
♦ He is the former editor of Dainik Asom, Dainik Janambhumi and Ajir Batori group of newspaper.
♦ He has been honored for his lifetime contribution to journalism in the state.
♦ The award comprises Rupees one lakh in cash, a citation, the Assamese; xoraai' (the bell metal memento presented as an honour), jaapi (headgear) and an angavastra.
♦ Senior journalist Late Radhika Mohan Bhagawati and Sri Kanaksen Deka earlier received this award.
SBI Card and Etihad Guest tie-up to Launch Premium Card
♦ SBI Card, the country's second-largest credit card issuer and Etihad Guest, the loyalty programme of Etihad Airways have tied up to launch a travel-specific Visa credit card for members and Indian travelers.
♦ This is the first international co-brand partnership of SBI Card.
♦ It has been launched in order to confront the constraints of International travel.
♦ It is an appealing programme through which its clients can start collecting reward points instantly.
Bharat Ratna Award 2019
♦ Bharat Ratna is the Highest Civilian Award in India.
♦ The award is conferred to the people who make a great contribution in the field of art, literature and science and social service.
♦ President Ram Nath Kovind announced the recipient of Bharat Ratna, they are B Bharatiya Jana Sangh leader Nanaji Deshmukh (posthumously), Singer Dr. Bhupen Hazarika (posthumously), and former president Pranab Mukherjee in New Delhi.
♦ Nanaji Deshmukh died at the age of 94 in 2012, was a member of the Lok Sabha and represented the Balrampur in Uttar Pradesh and also served as a nominated member of the Rajya Sabha from 1999 to 2005.
♦ Dr. Bhupen Hazarika, legendary singer-composer from Assam, He died in November 2011 at the age of 85. He was a recipient of Sangeet Natak Akademi Award, Padmashri, and Padmabhushan and was also awarded the Padma Vibhushan in 2012, the country's second-Highest Civilian Award
♦ Pranab Mukherjee was 13th President of India and served from 2012 until 2017.
TCS 3rd most-valued IT services brand globally
♦ Tata Consultancy Service (TCS) has been ranked as 3rd most-valued Information Technology(IT) service brand globally in 2018-19 according to report by Brand Finance.
♦ The report by Brand Finance was released at the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in Davos, Switzerland.
♦TCS brand value increase by 23% to USD 12.8 billion over the previous year.
♦ Accenture took the title of the world's most- valued IT services brand, its brand value at $26.3 billion. The tag was previously held by IBM, which now occupied the 2nd place with a brand value of USD 20.4 billion.
♦ Wipro entered the top-10 list for the first time this year.
♦ Four Indian IT services firms- TCS, Infosys, HCL and Wipro entered in the top-10 global tally.
Wasim Jaffer first batsman to score 1000 runs in Ranji Season twice
♦ Wasim Jaffer became the first batsman to score 1000 runs in a season twice in Ranji Trophy.
♦ He is a highest capped player in Ranji Trophy cricket, surpassing Amol Muzumdar (presently batting coach for Rajasthan Royals).
♦ The 40-year-old Jaffer had already scored over 1260 runs while playing for Mumbai in 2008-09.
♦ Wasim now has scored 1003 runs in the ongoing Ranji Trophy season.
Holder becomes 1st Top-Ranked Windies Test All-Rounder after Sobers
♦ West Indies captain Jason Holder has become the 1st cricketer since Garfield Sobers to be named as the world's leading all-rounder.
♦ Jason Holder surpassed Garfield Sobers with 202 not out off 229 balls in West Indies against England match.
Kartik Sharma wins New South Wales men's Amateur Golf Championship
♦ India's Kartik Sharma won the New South Wale men's Amateur Golf Championship in Australia.
♦ He won by defeating Australia's Nathan Barberie in the scheduled 36-hole final.
♦The Gurgaon golfer has been playing for India as a part of Nation Squad since the age of 10.
♦ Kartik had also won the Indian golf union western India Amateur Golf Championship 2018
Poonam Khetrapal Singh re-appointed as Regional Director of WHO South-East Asia
♦ Poonam Khetrapal Singh has been reappointed as Regional Director of World Health Organization South-East Asia, for a second five-year term.
♦ Her second term of office will begin from 1 February 2019.
♦ She is the 1st woman to become Regional Director of World Health Organization South-East Asia.
Southern Railway entitled number one for cleanliness: IRCTC Cleanliness Survey
♦ The Southern Railway bagged number one position for cleanliness in the country according to IRCTC Cleanliness Survey.
♦ Duronto trains are the least clean among premium, while Tejas and Shatabdi are the cleanest.
♦ Last year, Southern Railway also had a hike in their gross earning of more than six thousand crore rupees.
♦ Southern Railway also introduced 54 trains in the past four years.
Union Minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated third Bridge named 'Atal Setu' in Goa
♦ Union Minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated four-lane Cable Bridge named 'Atal Setu' across river Mandovi in Panaji, Goa.
♦ This bridge is 5.1-kilometer long.
♦ This is the third bridge across Mandovi River.
♦ This bridge would overcome the bottlenecks and curb traffic jams at Panaji Circle and Panaji entrance.
Dilip Sadarangani appointed as Part-time Chairman of Federal Bank
♦ South India based private sector lender Federal Bank has appointed Dilip Sadarangani as the part-time Chairman.
♦ He has been in the board of Federal Bank since 2013
♦ The appointment of Sadarangani has been cleared by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
♦ Federal Bank is a scheduled commercial bank in India with of 70 years.
Suman Kumari appointed Pakistan's first ever Female Hindu Civil Judge
♦ Suman Kumari has become the first Hindu women to be appointed as a civil judge in Pakistan after passing an examination for induction of judicial officers.
♦ She passed her LLB examination from Hyderabad and did her Masters in Law from Karachi's Szabist University.
♦ The first judge the Hindu community was Justice Rana Bhagwandas, who served in Pakistan from 2005-07.
India Replace Japan to become 2nd-largest Steel Producer
♦ India became 2nd-largest steel producing country according to World Steel Association report.
♦ India has replaced Japan to retain the 2nd largest steel producing country.
♦ India's crude steel production in 2018 was 106.5 million tonnes from 101.5 million tonnes in 2017. India shows 4.9% growth in production.
♦ Japan produced 104.3 MT in 2018, down 0.3% compared to 2017 and hold the third Position in Crude steel Production.
♦ China is the largest producer of crude steel. China's share increased from 50.3% in 2017 to 51.3% in 2018.
♦ United States, at the 4th position, which produces 86.7 MT of crude steel in 2018.
♦ South Korea, at the 5th position, which produces 72.5 MT of crude steel in 2018.
♦ Russia, at the 6th position, which produces 71.7 MT of crude steel in 2018.
♦ Germany, at the 7th position, which produces 42.4 MT of crude steel in 2018.
♦Turkey, at the 8th position, which produces 37.3 MT of crude steel in 2018.
♦ Brazil, at the 9th position, which produces 34.7 MT of crude steel in 2018.
♦ Iran, at the 10th position, which produces 25 MT of crude steel in 2018.
Dubai Airport retains Top position as world's Busiest Airport
♦ Dubai International Airport (DXB) has become the world's busiest airport for international passengers for the fifth consecutive year.
♦ It overtook the crown of the world's busiest airport for international passengers from London's Heathrow in 2014.
♦ Dubai International shows an increase of 1% in passenger traffic when compared to the previous year. It is the slowest growth for Dubai Airport in the past decade.
Tamil Nadu bagged best state award for Swasth Bharat Yatra
♦ Tamil Nadu has bagged the best state award for its active participation in the Swasth Bharat Yatra.
♦ The Swasth Bharat Yatra was a pan-India Cyclothon, the key element of Cyclothon was 'Eat Right India' and the goal of the campaign was to aware the sensitive people about 'eating right for a healthy life.
♦ Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) had organized Swasth Bharat Yatra.
Global Corruption Index Ranking: India Ranks 78th
♦ India has ranked 78th spot on the Global Corruption Index 2018.
♦ According to Transparency International Report India rose by three points to 78 in the list of 180 countries in the world.
♦ China lagged far behind at 87 and Pakistan ranked 117.
First Swadesh Darshan Project inaugurated in Sikkim
♦ K.J. Alphon, Union Minister for Tourism has inaugurated the first Swadesh Darshan Project in Sikkim.
♦ This project was sanctioned by the Minister of Tourism in June 2015 for Rs. 98.05.
♦ Under the scheme, the government will develop quality infrastructure in the country with an objective of providing better experience and facilities to the visitors. It will also promote economic growth.
Civil Aviation Ministry launched Country's First GI Store in Goa
♦ The Civil Aviation Ministry has launched the country's first Geographical Indication (GI) store at Dabolim International Airport in Goa.
♦ The Geographical Indication (GI) store will promote local products made by the artisans and handicrafts at the airport.
♦ The store is set up by Airports Authority of India in partnership with the Cashew Export Promotional Council of India.
FDI grew 18% in FY18 to Rs.28.25 lakh crore: RBI data
♦ Reserve Bank of India has released a data on 'Census on Foreign Liabilities and Assets of India Direct Investment Companies, 2017-18', According to this Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) has increased 18% to Rs. 28.25 lakh crore.
♦ FDI increased by 4,33,300 crore during 2017-18, including revaluation of past investments to reach Rs 28.25 lakh crore.
♦ Overseas Direct Investment (ODI) by Indian companies has increased by 5% to reach Rs 5.28 lakh crore.
♦ Mauritius is the largest source of FDI in India (19.7%) followed by the US, the UK, Singapore, and Japan.
♦ In case of Overseas investment by Indian companies, Singapore was the top destination followed by the Netherland and Mauritius and the United state of America.
GST on Haj reduced from 18% to 5%
♦ Union Minister for Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said that SGT on Haj has been reduced from 18% to 5%.
♦ Due to decreasing in GST, this will reduce the airfare spend on Haj pilgrims by Rs 113 crore this year.
♦ This is the first time since independence more than 2,300 Muslim women from India will go on 2019 Haj without Mehram.
India signs agreement with OECD for participation in PISA 2021
♦ Human Resources Development (MHRD) signed an agreement with Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) for India's participation in Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) 2021.
♦ PISA is a triennial international survey, tests the learning level of 15-year-old students in reading, mathematics, science and collaborative problem solving and is conducted by OECD every three years.
♦ The objective for participation in PISA is to help introduce competency-based examination reforms in the school system and to evaluate the education system in the country.
♦ The CBSE and NCERT will be part of the process and activities leading to the actual test.
♦ The students for the test will be selected through random sampling by PISA.
♦ More than 80 countries, including 44 middle-income countries, have participated in the assessment since the first round of testing in 2000.
♦ The next round of PISA is going to held in 2021.
Click Here to Read Daily Current Affairs
Click Here to Attempt Daily Current Affairs Quiz