1. LEVY (VERB): (कर लगाना) impose (a tax, fee, or fine).
Synonyms: charge, exact
A tax of two per cent was levied on all cargoes.
2. WAYLAY (VERB): (ताक में रहना) stop or interrupt (someone)
Synonyms: ambush, assail
He waylaid me on the stairs.
3. CONTRACTION (NOUN): (संकुचन) decline
Synonyms: shrinking, dwindling
The general contraction of the industry did further damage to morale.
4. DETRIMENTAL (ADJ.): (हानि पहुंचानेवाला) tending to cause harm
Synonyms: inimical, deleterious
Recent policies have been detrimental to the interests of many old people.
5. DENT (VERB): have an adverse effect on; diminish.
Synonyms: weaken, lessen
This neither deterred him nor dented his enthusiasm.
6. DISCRETIONARY (ADJ.): (स्वैच्छिक) optional
Synonyms: non-compulsory, voluntary
There has been an increase in year-end discretionary bonuses.
7. CONJURE (VERB): implore (someone) to do something.
Synonyms: entreat., importune
He conjured him to return.
8. CONTINGENT (ADJ.): (आकस्मिक) unexpected
Synonyms: accidental, unforeseen
Our plans are contingent on the weather.
9. CONUNDRUM (NOUN): (समस्या) a confusing and difficult problem
Synonyms: dilemma, enigma
One of the most difficult conundrums for the experts.
10. CONVENE (VERB): come or bring together for a meeting or activity
Synonyms: assemble, hold
He had convened a secret meeting of military personnel.
11. AFTERMATH (NOUN): (परिणाम) consequence
Synonyms: repercussion, result
Food prices soared in the aftermath of the drought.
Download the PrepSutra app
Download the app for Android devices and prepare on the go - anytime, anywhere!