1. DETER (VERB): (हतोत्साह करना)discourage
Synonyms: dissuade, intimidate
Only a health problem would deter him from seeking re-election.
2. OSTENSIBLE (ADJ.): (काल्पनिक) stated or appearing to be true, but not necessarily so.
Synonyms: seeming, superficial
The real dispute which lay behind the ostensible complaint.
3. RESTRAIN (VERB): (नियंत्रित करना) prevent (someone or something) from doing something; keep under control
Synonyms: impede, constrain
He could barely restrain his anger.
4. MANIPULATE (VERB): handle or control (a tool, mechanism, information, etc.)
Synonyms: exploit, steer
The masses were deceived and manipulated by a tiny group.
5. DECOUPLE (VERB): (अलग करना) separate
Synonyms: disengage, dissociate
The mountings effectively decouple movements of the engine from those of the wheels.
6. PROPEL (VERB): drive or push something forwards.
Synonyms: induce, stimulate
The boat is propelled by using a very long paddle.
7. CONSTRAIN (VERB): (मजबूर करना) compel or force (someone) to follow a particular course of action.
Synonyms: coerce, impel
Children are constrained to work in the way the book dictates.
8. ASSERTIVE (ADJ.): (स्वीकारात्मक) having or showing a confident
Synonyms: decisive, determined
The job may call for assertive behaviour.
9. ABIDE (VERB): (पालन करना) obey
Synonyms: accept, observe
I said I would abide by their decision.
10. IMPERATIVE (ADJ.): (अनिवार्य) crucial
Synonyms: essential, necessary
Water is imperative for survival.
11. ACKNOWLEDGE (VERB): (स्वीकार करना) accept
Synonyms: comply, concede
The plight of the refugees was acknowledged by the authorities.
Download the PrepSutra app
Download the app for Android devices and prepare on the go - anytime, anywhere!